Hello there! I am so happy that you found me in this wide and wild ocean of a blogosphere! Let’s introduce ourselves.
Who am I?
My name is Marissa and I am a former adult rehabilitation hospital speech-language pathologist (try saying that five times fast!)
Three words that describe me: fun, frugal, and frantic (I guess my logo pretty much describes my life; if you had my sons you would be frantic as well).
I currently live with my husband and our two rambunctious boys on the East Coast, close to New York. However, we have also lived near the beautiful lake front of Chicago, in the bustling city of Shanghai, and in the quiet suburbs of Indiana (where I grew up).
We have moved five times in six years and I am so over moving.
* Obligatory wedding picture with handsome husband. He was born in China, grew up in Germany, has lived in the US for 20+ years, and speaks four languages!
I know the struggle of saving and earning!
Both my parents passed away when I was young; I have been financially independent since I was 17 years old.
Although I worked throughout most of my college (sometimes two jobs), by the time I earned my master’s degree, I graduated with $25,000 in student loans and $0 in my bank account.
Nearly ten years later we:
- Paid off our student loans within 2 years
- Consistently save 50% of our income
- Live totally debt-free while still appreciating the finer things in life
Why did I start this blog?
When I was young, my father had a nickname for me: The Professor.
I loved to read and absorb knowledge and share that knowledge with others. I was pretty much Hermione Granger, except maybe slightly less bossy 🙂
But somehow, despite all that reading, I ended up graduating college without being able to cook a decent meal, plan a budget, decorate and organize my home, etc (if you are wondering how I survived, it’s all thanks to my love of ramen noodles.)
I was book smart but I couldn’t even boil an egg properly!
So I did what any total geek would do; I read, experimented, and learned how to fill in those practical life skills gaps that were missing.
Now I have a passion for empowering others to do things they never thought they could do.
The accomplishments I am proud of?
- Learning how to cook delicious and (mostly) healthy meals and even brainstorm recipes
- Managing and raising a family without any help or support system
- Figuring out how to create and totally rock a budget
- Getting organized (and turning my clutter into cash)
- Traveling to many different countries, even navigating Paris and Tokyo alone
- Teaching myself to speak Chinese and thriving as an expat in Shanghai
- Becoming more self-assured and confident
- Building a blog on my own
Now I want to help you do the same
If you have landed here, I am willing to bet you have an interest in some of these things as well! If you are passionate about any of the topics I mentioned, I think you will find lots of useful information here!
Why “Squirrels of a Feather”?
I’m so glad you asked!
I chose the name Squirrels of a Feather because the squirrel has always been sort of my mascot. Squirrels are intelligent. Squirrels are resourceful. Squirrels know how to stash and cache. Also, they are adorable…and just a little quirky.
When I was thinking of starting this blog to connect with like-minded people, the saying, “birds of a feather flock together” kept repeating in my head, over and over…and then when I thought of adding a “twist” with my mascot, the squirrel, it all just clicked into place.
Squirrels of a Feather — frugal together! That’s us…you and me!
Where to go from here
Here are a few of my most popular posts for you to check out:
- An Honest Review of Restored 316 Themes
- How I DOUBLED My Blog’s Pageviews in Two Months
- SEO Strategies That Increased My Blog’s Organic Traffic 588%!
- How I Got a Viral Pin My First Month Blogging
- How I Went Zero to 1 Million Pinterest Views in Three Months!
- 7 Easy Steps to the Perfect Budget
- 8 Ways Minimalism Can Make You Money
- How I Made $10,000 (and Counting) Through Decluttering
- 50 Things to Sell on eBay for $50+
- 10 Frugal Living Affirmations to Manifest Money
- Easter Find the Bunny Sight Word Game
- Comprehensive KonMari Checklist
- Soothing Lavender Earl Grey Sugar Scrub
- DIY Ceramic Chalk Paint Vase
- Spicy Korean Pork Belly Recipe
- Instant Pot Korean BBQ Ribs
- Fluffy Homemade Waffle Recipe
- Kid Friendly Hidden Veggie Meatballs
- Non-Alcoholic Mermaid Lemonade