Hey there! I’m Marissa and I’m so happy to welcome you to my corner of the blogosphere. 🙂
Let’s chat a moment about philosophy, you and I.
I believe life is a series of happy times connected by what I call “make it happen” moments.
What are make it happen moments?
As a busy homemaker, make it happen moments happen every day — sometimes more!!
- You have a fever of 103°F but you still need to cook dinner — make it happen!
- Your mother-in-law will be at your house in less than 10 minutes and you just walked downstairs to find a demolition zone — make it happen!
- Your child’s teacher just told you he is behind his classmates on expected reading level and you need to start working more at home — make it happen.
Life is full of make it happen moments — that’s where Squirrels of a Feather comes in!
That’s why I started this blog
I believe all homemakers have the power to make their dreams come true — to make it happen and then some!
We are so used to taking care of the needs of others that sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves.
I want you to ask yourself, “What would I like to make happen in my life?”
- Less clutter and more space to breathe and feel relaxed?
- More time to spend on activities you enjoy?
- Less stress around planning meals or family time?
- More money so that you can have the freedom to explore new hobbies or pursue financial freedom?
I want you to believe you can make it happen for your family AND still have time to spend on yourself!
Squirrels of a Feather is all about homemaking it happen, together — one project and recipe at a time!
Why Squirrels of a Feather
What animal better represents #makeithappen than the industrious squirrel?
Squirrels are constantly running about in a frenzy trying to find what they need for the coming winter. They battle against the elements, starvation, predators, and more every single day!
But squirrels are also smart and resourceful — if you don’t believe me, just watch them figure out how to steal food from a bird feeder!
Squirrels are a busy homemakers’ spirit animal — embrace it.
When I was trying to think of a name for this blog the saying, “birds of a feather flock together” kept repeating in my head, over and over.
When I thought of adding a “twist” (the squirrel) it all clicked into place!
*Actual footage of me in my natural habitat.
A little more about me
I am a former adult rehabilitation hospital speech-language pathologist — try saying that five times fast.
I actually started using the phrase “make it happen” while working as an SLP!
That was the slogan we therapists (physical, occupational, and speech) would holler encouragingly to each other be able to make it through rough workdays.
Whenever things were getting tough, that phrase would get us all fired up again!
My life is relatively peaceful now but with two rambunctious young boys, I still have plenty of make it happen moments every day — and I struggled a lot before finding my groove as a homemaker!
Some of my make it happen moments
Here are a few defining make it happen moments in my life:
- Graduate college as an orphan with $0 to your name — make it happen. My mother passed away when I was nine (cervical cancer) and my father when I was 20 (liver cirrhosis), and I have lived independently since age 18 (before he passed away). I was actually $25,000 in debt when I graduated with my Master’s degree.
- You are now a wife and mother who doesn’t know how to cook — make it happen. I was raised on microwave dinners, fast food, and tacos. I thought that McDonald’s and Chinese takeout were the epitome of haute cuisine as a kid. (Okay, Chinese takeout still rocks.) I survived college thanks to Chef Boyardee and ramen noodles. It wasn’t until I met my husband (a former restaurant owner) that I started getting interested in cooking and found out I had a knack for it. (Don’t get me wrong, there were plenty of epic cooking fails along the way!)
- Husband’s parents don’t speak English and you want to be able to communicate — make it happen. My husband was born in China, grew up in Germany, and speaks four languages; however, his parents don’t speak English. As a former SLP I know communication is important and so I taught myself Chinese — which came in handy when we lived in Shanghai, China for two years! Find out how I did it here.
- You are not naturally neat, tidy, or a good mother — make it happen. I struggle with everything you probably struggle with; staying organized, raising kids, sticking to a budget, you name it! Every change that I have made has been tough!
How I got started blogging
As my children got older and I faced the prospect of returning to work as an SLP, I was filled with dread.
I remembered the burnout, the unmanageable caseloads, the stress of juggling patients and paperwork, dealing with doctors who showed up to meetings hours late with zero regard for your schedule, the long commutes, and most of all, the stress.
I dreamed of having a job that I could wake up and be excited for.
For years I read articles from my favorite bloggers and I thought to myself, if only. (These people make tens of thousands of dollar each month, traveling the world while blogging, and generally living a life I could only dream of.)
Then one day I saw a quote:
Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”
— George Addair
It was then that I knew — I wanted to start a blog and reclaim my sense of self and freedom.
I wanted to make it happen, both for myself and for the other struggling homemakers out there!
Yes, change is tough and a little scary — but I know that if I can make these changes, you can too!
Where to go from here?
Like what you see and want to know more? Check out these posts!
Popular in Organization
- 5-Page Ultimate FREE KonMari Checklist
- 45 Organization Tools to Tidy Every Square Inch of Your Home
- 15 Life-Changing KonMari Method Do’s and Don’ts
Popular in Recipes
- Spicy Korean Pork Belly Recipe
- Kid-Friendly Hidden Veggie Baked Meatballs
- Halloween Giant Cow Eyeball Recipe
Popular at Home
- Easter Find the Bunny Sight Word Game
- Soothing Lavender Earl Grey Sugar Scrub
- DIY This Stunning Necklace Holder Yourself
Popular in Thrift & Sell
- 75 Weird Things You Can Sell for Fast Cash on eBay
- How to Start Selling on eBay (Make 1K/Month from Home!)
- Can You Really Make Money Blogging? [New Blogger Income Report]